We are challenging you to draw something from your imagination, every day throughout the month of May.
There are good reasons to draw regularly from your imagination; It Improves your ability to memorize and also improves your creativity.
There is a certain comfort to drawing from life or from some kind of a reference, but drawing from your imagination is a skill in itself. It might sound easy, but it’s actually really, really hard! So don’t expect any masterpieces from this challenge… Be gentle with yourself!
Optional Prompts for all May Challenges
- Have fun!!
- Your drawings must be entirely from your imagination.
- You should complete and post one drawing from your imagination, every day throughout the month of May
- Your drawings should be an attempt to either recreate a recognisable subject or to draw something from your imagination eg. a fantasy creature. They should NOT be abstract.
- You can use any medium to create your drawings.
- Don’t forget to link and tag us in your post (details are shown below) We might even feature your work on our blog!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #ImaginationMay
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your paintings on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make things a little more manageable
- Try having a theme to make things a little easier. Maybe you want to concentrate on drawing faces from your imagination… or animals.
- Since this challenge requires no reference, this is something you can easily fit in while you are sitting down in the evenings in front of the TV.
Ideas to make your miniature art a little more interesting
- You could make your drawings over interesting backgrounds… perhaps on music sheets or even on the pages of an old novel!
At the end of the month, why not make a little video of your experience (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? Or send us some photos of your favourite pieces.
With your permission, we may even feature your video on our site!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
Other May Challenges
Create a simple drawing using your non-dominant hand, every day throughout the month. Studies have shown that when using our dominant hand, only one hemisphere of the brain is active, however by using our non-dominant hand, both sides of our brain are active.read more
This challenge is hosted by a closed Facebook group, so you will need to request to be able to join in this annual May challenge. Each year, on or around the 26th April, a list of daily subjects for the entire month will be published to download.read more
Create a miniature piece of artwork, every day throughout the month of May. Your miniature artwork must be NO bigger than 5” x 5” in any media excluding digital.read more