Welcome to today’s art podcast. Today we’re going to talk about titling your artwork. We have quite differing opinions on this topic so it should be a good one. What are your thoughts, does it really matter?
This podcast is sponsored by Evolve. Evolve can teach anyone how to paint in a realism style to a professional level in a year. They offer online lessons, support and also provide the materials you need. To find out more sign up for a free masterclass at https://kickinthecreatives.com/evolvewebinar
Some of the points we discuss about Art Titles
- If a piece of art has a concept behind it an art title can help explain that in a succinct way.
- I think titles matter to some people and not others
- A title could help with marketing a piece of work, especially if it’s something that is intriguing or a bit rude or risque
- I wonder if titles ever sway judges opinions in art competitions?
Coming up with Art title ideas
- Don’t always go for the obvious – twist it or think about opposite ideas
- Make them funny – obviously only when appropriate
- Make them thought-provoking – could there be a backstory to your painting?
- Brainstorm keywords related to your topic – use sites like Rhymezone to help
- Think about different words you could use related to things like the colour or mood of the painting. So instead of yellow it could be lemon or golden
- Ask for art title ideas on Social Media.
- Use AI, Artificial Intelligence like ChatGPT to help brainstorm art title ideas
Support us on Kofi
This week’s creative question
Q. You have created a piece of art featuring a person, peering into a mirror, with a confused look on their face. What do you title it, and why?
The best answers will be read out on a future podcast.
You can Tweet us your answers @KickCreatives or let us know in the Facebook Group, which by the way if you haven’t already joined, I highly recommend that you do! We will put the question up there and also on the Facebook page… and of course, on our Instagram page @kickinthecreatives.
If you have any suggestions for the podcast or our challenges please feel free to get in touch.