Today we are talking about the power of continuous practice… And I think that most of the people who joined Kick in the Creatives at the start and have been joining in with the challenges ever since will be able to see how much they have improved by adopting a creative habit. So if you haven’t joined us yet and you want to improve your skills, then now is a good time to start. Our Facebook Group is a great place to share your work, get encouraged by other artists and hold yourself accountable.
Any amount of practice is good, but like anything, regularity is the key. If you look at it like going to the gym, well going once a week is good for you, but you won’t see results anywhere near as quickly as you would by going three times a week. Basically, the more you do it, the quicker the results.
Some of the things we discuss:
- How to set things up so that practice is easier, by having your tools close at hand so there is less resistance
- How setting yourself a challenge or joining an existing one can help with motivation
- How little and often is the key to your work improving
- How a teacher tested the theory of quantity vs quality with students
- How practising a specific thing for a period of time can be more beneficial than practising lots of things
- Why there will be times in your practice where your art won’t seem to improve
- That sometimes you don’t notice how much you have improved until you look back
The video talk I mentioned in the podcast about the man who bet his cousin $1000 he could learn to draw and get 1000 likes on Art Station within 6 months is The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Artists
If you enjoy the podcast you can support us by buying us a coffee. We want to make a coffee froth moustache. Thank you!
This week’s creative question
Q. What are your creative goals for the 2020?
The best answers will be read out on a future podcast.
You can Tweet us your answers @KickCreatives or let us know in the Facebook Group, which by the way if you haven’t already joined, I highly recommend that you do! We will put the question up there and also on the facebook page… and of course, on our Instagram page @kickinthecreatives.
If you have any suggestions for the podcast or our challenges please feel free to get in touch.
We’ve now got a Youtube Channel where we put up a new Art Video every Sunday.
Subscribe to our channel and click the notifications bell to be alerted on all our new videos.