Happy New Year (that sounds so weird when I’m writing this in December)
Today’s episode is a round-up of the arty things we’ve loved and what we learned in 2018, plus a look at what we’ve got coming up for 2019.
We want to start by saying that having great art materials does not make you a great artist. Any pencil or pen will do, but they are blooming lovely and collecting them is a hobby in itself.
Some of the art materials we mention
- Lamy Safari fountain pen
- Sailor Fude fountain pen
- Pentel brush pen (big kisses to this one from me, but not quite so much from Sandra)
- Ohuhu markers (what a weird name, as we discuss in the podcast)
- Bleed proof marker paper
- Stationery Island watercolour brush pens – read the post here
- Koh-i Noor watercolours
- Mixed Media Papers – Canson Imagine, Clairefontaine, we wrote a post about this here too
- Stillman & Birn Alpha Series sketchbook
- Lyra Aquacolour – Read the post about these here
Some of the apps we like
- Fun photo apps, such as googly eyes and speech bubbles
- Focus Keeper app (Pomodoro)
- Adobe’s creative apps for phone and tablets (many are free)
- Art Pose – digital mannequin
Free Photo Reference
Life drawing Reference
Books and Courses
- It’s great to Create – Jon Burgerman (book)
- Photography Masterclass: The New Complete Guide to Photography Phil Ebiner
- Intro to Procreate: Illustrating on the iPad Pro Brooke Glaser
- Doodles to design by Jon Burgerman
- Urban Sketching – Ed J Brown, Illustrator, Typographer
- Any Adobe Courses by Daniel Scott
Things we learned
We also talk about the things we learned last year including:
Sandra realised the beauty of a cheap sketchbook – Not scared to spoil the pages. Plus, how some of the exercises like draw with your left hand and 5 Minute March allow people to be less critical of their own work.
I learned you won’t know you are good at something (or you like it) until you try it and that your creativity can inspire creativity in others. We saw this in our Facebook group
Creative Podcasts we like
- Your Creative Push by Youngman Brown
- Art for All by By Danny Gregory and Sketchbook Skool
- Three Point Perspective (for illustrators)
- The Creative Pen (for Writers)
We also go through a few of the challenges coming up for next year and we have a brand new question.
This week’s creative question
Q. You are allowed to draw only one more thing in your lifetime… What would it be?
The best answers will be read out on the next joint podcast.
You can Tweet us your answers @KickCreatives or let us know in the Facebook Group, which by the way if you haven’t already joined, I highly recommend that you do! We will put the question up there and also on the facebook page… and of course, on our Instagram page @kickinthecreatives.
If you have any suggestions for the podcast or our challenges please feel free to get in touch.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you use the link to make a purchase we will receive a very small commission, without any extra cost to you. This will help to support our website and podcast. Thank you so much.