Today’s episode is all about how to find your art style. But it’s a little different to our usual podcast. We’ll talk about we both found our art style, but Tara will be the main focus, because Tara found hers more recently.
Tara didn’t stumble across her style… It didn’t just creep up on her through pencil mileage… she made a conscious effort to find it by developing her own 60 day ‘Find your Art Style’ experiment. And she filmed her process and her progress, every single day. It was something she hoped would work, but there was always the chance that it might not, so it was a huge commitment to take on, with no guarantees.
So, we thought it might be fun if Sandra interviewed Tara about her process, in the hope that she can help you to find ways to find your own, or develop the one that you already have. Plus Tara will ask Sandra a few questions about how she found her style along the way too.
Some of the things we discuss about finding your art style
- Our definitions of what an art style is, our views are slightly different on this
- Why finding a recognisable art style was so important to Tara and why it might be for you too.
- Why Sandra was never concerned about finding an art style because she was more interested in learning how to paint like the masters.
- How Sandra found her style more organically
- Why Sandra paints both very dark and very light paintings, but they are still recognisably hers.
- Why Tara thought that maybe she could actively go about finding a style, rather than it stumbling upon it over time
- Why Tara created a 60 day challenge for herself called the ‘Find your Art Style Experiment’
- How Tara went about finding her style including analysing her own work and the work of artists she loves.
- Why sometimes you should go with your gut rather than doing what you think you “should” be doing
- What happened during the 60 day experiment to find Tara’s Art Style. The high points, the low points and the doubts
- Tips for starting your own Find Your Art Style Experiment
So you may be wondering, did Tara actually find her art style? Well you’ll have to listen to the podcast to find out!
If you want to watch the videos created during Tara’s “Find Your Art Style Experiment” you can find them on the Kick in the Creatives Youtube Channel
Links mentioned in the Podcast
- You can see Sandra’s art style on her website www.sandrabusbyart.com and Instagram @sandra.busby
- You can see Tara’s art style Tara’s at www.tararoskellart.com and Instagram @tararoskell
- The artist we mentioned in our group who has been developing his art style – Instagram @robbingtonabbeycreations
- The course we mentioned in the podcast was “How To Discover Your Style” by Lee White from SVS learn and Three Point perspective
If you enjoy the podcast you can support us by buying us a coffee. We want to make a coffee froth moustache. Thank you!
This week’s creative question
What memorable responses have you had to your work?
The best answers will be read out on a future podcast.
You can Tweet us your answers @KickCreatives or let us know in the Facebook Group, which by the way if you haven’t already joined, I highly recommend that you do! We will put the question up there and also on the facebook page… and of course, on our Instagram page @kickinthecreatives.
If you have any suggestions for the podcast or our challenges please feel free to get in touch.
We’ve now got a Youtube Channel where we put up a new Art Video every Sunday.
Subscribe to our channel and click the notifications bell to be alerted on all our new videos.