Today’s podcast episode is about the misheld beliefs of being an artist. These are those strange perceptions that non-artists have about how an artist should look, act or be.
Some of the things we discuss in the Podcast
How when you are older you may
- The perception that you have to be young to be an artist
- That you have to have gone to art college to be a successful artist
- You have to be able to draw brilliantly and have formal training in drawing
- Everything you paint/draw must be successful
- You can paint, draw or sketch anything, effortlessly and without reference
- You have to be represented by a gallery
- You have to have won an award
- You have to have a big following on Social Media
- You have to know art history
- You have to paint with oil paints
- You have to have big stories or meaning behind your work
- You have to be good at painting in any medium
- You have to be loose
- You have to know anatomy to draw people
- I am sure if you know anatomy it’s helpful if you want to create highly realist
- You are painting all day, every day
- You have to be selling your work and better still, selling art alone to make your living
- And then there’s the complete opposite belief that to be an artist you have to be ‘starving’ … Well, which is it?
- You have to use long words, say ‘yah’ instead of yes, be pretentious or pretend to be
- You have to ‘look like’ or ‘dress like’ an artist, constantly clutching a portfolio
- You have to live in London, New York or a major city
- You have to mix in a circle of other artists
- You have to be a bit odd/traumatised
The reality is, all you need to do, to be an Artist, is to make art!
Also mentioned in the podcast
The Kick in the Creative’s first course – How to Use Water Soluble Wax Pastels
Support us on Kofi
This week’s creative question
Q. What is your dream creative project?
The best answers will be read out on a future podcast.
You can Tweet us your answers @KickCreatives or let us know in the Facebook Group, which by the way if you haven’t already joined, I highly recommend that you do! We will put the question up there and also on the facebook page… and of course, on our Instagram page @kickinthecreatives.
If you have any suggestions for the podcast or our challenges please feel free to get in touch.
Subscribe to our Youtube channel and click the notifications bell to be alerted on all our new videos.