Welcome to today’s art podcast episode. Today we’re going to chat about the importance of planning your composition.
This podcast is sponsored by Evolve. Evolve can teach anyone how to paint in a realism style to a professional level in a year. They offer online lessons, support and also provide the materials you need. To find out more sign up for a free masterclass at https://kickinthecreatives.com/evolvewebinar
Planning your art composition before you paint
- How taking time on the initial planning can be the difference between a successful piece and an unsuccessful piece
- Taking time to plan, can save you time in the long run
- Asking the opinions of others if you are unsure
- If it’s a still life, try arranging and rearranging your initial set-up and photographing in lots of different ways
- Take photos and use a grid to determine your focal points
- Crop your photo in various ways to see what works best
- Draw thumbnail sketches
- Look for an overall shape that flows
- Aim for various angles and not too many of one
- Sometimes offsetting something so it’s on a third can help
- Tara talks about the commission she did where sherealised that not having an initial sketch in this particular painting, had her having to do it three times
- Sandra talk about the aha moment when they had our chat, that there were too many verticals and they needed breaking up
Support us on Kofi
This week’s creative question
Q. What do you listen to while you create and does your choice affect the results?
The best answers will be read out on a future podcast.
You can Tweet us your answers @KickCreatives or let us know in the Facebook Group, which by the way if you haven’t already joined, I highly recommend that you do! We will put the question up there and also on the Facebook page… and of course, on our Instagram page @kickinthecreatives.
If you have any suggestions for the podcast or our challenges please feel free to get in touch.