Happy new year and welcome to today’s episode, the first of 2021! Today we are talking about our personal favourite art books… and not just tutorial books, but other inspirational books too. There are lots of obvious ones we could talk about, the Danny Gregory’s and the Austin Kleon’s, but we’re pretty sure that most of you will have heard of those, so we’re going to talk about the less obvious ones.
Books we mention in the show:
Art Tutorial Books
- Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, by Betty Edwards
- Sketching People and Urban Sketchers Guide to Drawing Figures and Faces – Lynne Chapman
Lynne Chapman has also been on our podcast on Episode 45
- Dare to Sketch, by Felix Scheinberger
- Urban Watercolor Sketching by Felix Scheinberger
- Sketching from Square One, to Trafalgar Square, by Richard E Scott
- Jean Haines’ Atmospheric Watercolours
- The Simple Secret to Better painting, by Greg Albert
Fun Art Books
- 52 Exercises to Make Drawing Fun – Carla Sonheim
- It’s Great to Create, by Jon Burgerman, also check out the podcast we did with Jon
- Making Comics – Lynda Barry
Art Inspiration Books
- Street Sketchbook and Street Sketchbook Journeys – both by Tristan Manko
- Basquiat – Brooklyn Museum
- Remedial Sketches – Lewis Rossignol
- A World of Artist Journal Pages – curated by Dawn Devries Sokol
- Dot Dot Dash – Designer Toys, Action Figures and Character Art
- Any of the Pictoplasma Books
Books Where We Love the Illustrations
- The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy
- Winespeak, by Ronald Searle
- Charlie and Lola: We honestly can look after your dog by Lauren Child
- Travels with my Sketchbook, by Chris Riddell who was on podcast episode 72
More Unusual Creative Books
- Thinkertoys, A handbook of Creative Thinking Techniques – Micheal Michalko
- Neighbours, by Lucy Dawson
Please note that some some of the links are affiliate links, so if you decide to purchase via our link we get a small commission. Thank you for your support.
This week’s creative question
Q. What is your favourite art book and why?
The best answers will be read out on a future podcast.
You can Tweet us your answers @KickCreatives or let us know in the Facebook Group, which by the way if you haven’t already joined, I highly recommend that you do! We will put the question up there and also on the facebook page… and of course, on our Instagram page @kickinthecreatives.
If you have any suggestions for the podcast or our challenges please feel free to get in touch.
We’ve now got a Youtube Channel where we put up a new Art Video every Sunday.
Subscribe to our channel and click the notifications bell to be alerted on all our new videos.