Today we are talking about the pros and cons of social media for artists, of which there are many. I think at some point we will all have had some great experiences on social media, whether that is making new friends and contacts or a great comment. But of course it also has its downsides too.
Some of the Pros and Cons of social media that we discuss
(starting with the cons and ending on a high note)
- Feeling pressured to post every day.
- The pressure to produce art that is ‘post-worthy’
- Worry about how many follows, unfollows and likes you get.
- Feeling like you need to ‘like and follow’ everyone who does it for you
- The time suck element of social media
- Feeling the need to make everything seem perfect
- Being intimidated by other people’s work
- Being open to criticism from others, even if you don’t ask for it
- Feeling pigeonholed – We mention a post by @RonnieWalter on Instagram
- Build a network of creative friends
- You can find groups to join where people have similar interests to you
- Finding people to collaborate with
- Plenty of inspiration
- You might also discover opportunities/ courses etc that you might like.
- The ability to reach a much wider audience
- Being able to send traffic to your website/blog or online shop
- You are likely to sell more
- It allows your followers to get to know and hopefully like you, because they can see more of your personality
- Being able to get advice from others on social media when needed
- Getting nice feedback about your work
You can have a lot of fun showing the sillier, imperfect side of yourself too. It can be fun to share that side of yourself and encourage others to do the same and be more comfortable with themselves too.
What are your pros and cons of Social Media for you as a creative?
This week’s creative question
Q. What’s the weirdest or funniest thing that has happened to you while creating?
The best answers will be read out on a future podcast.
You can Tweet us your answers @KickCreatives or let us know in the Facebook Group, which by the way if you haven’t already joined, I highly recommend that you do! We will put the question up there and also on the facebook page… and of course, on our Instagram page @kickinthecreatives.
If you have any suggestions for the podcast or our challenges please feel free to get in touch.
Subscribe to our Youtube channel and click the notifications bell to be alerted on all our new videos.