Today’s podcast is all about ten skills that every artist needs. That’s from the creative side of things to admin or business skills.
The Ten Artist Skills We Talk About in the Podcast
1. Manage time
- This might mean being selfish at times
- Treating art like an appointment
- Realising how long your art takes with everything that come with it
- Ignoring social media
- Ignoring housework
- Commit to a project
- Draw what you actually see and don’t make assumptions
- Take notice of everything
- Try to look at your subject more than your paper.
- See tones of light and dark in what you are working on,
- See subtle changes in colour hues
- Do what’s right for the art
- Generate ideas. This can be as simple as deciding what to paint and in what style, to generating weird and wonderful imaginative ideas
- Think a little differently
5. Get over failure
- We can’t learn without failing
- See if you can use that failure in any way.
6. Take criticism
- You will never please everyone
- They may not even be right
- If the person is right you can use it to learn from.
- If you try to please everyone your work might be bland or unnoticeable and in the end will not please anyone.
7. Self Promote
- Talk about your art
- Share it
- Learn a bit of techie stuff
- Don’t be afraid to say ‘I’m an Artist.
8. Accept rejection
- You won’t always be the right fit for galleries, podcast interviews etc
9. Say No
- Don’t say yes to other projects for fear of missing out FOMO
- Also say no to friends and family for free stuff unless its something you really want to
- To commissions if they are not the right fit or if you already have too many
10. Be Brave
- Experiment and try things out
- Don’t be afraid to get out there and sketch in public
- Be confident (or pretend to be)
- Be open to new opportunities
Also mentioned in the podcast
The Kick in the Creative’s first course – How to Use Water Soluble Wax Pastels
This week’s creative question
Q. Has a real-life situation ever inspired your work?
The best answers will be read out on a future podcast.
You can Tweet us your answers @KickCreatives or let us know in the Facebook Group, which by the way if you haven’t already joined, I highly recommend that you do! We will put the question up there and also on the facebook page… and of course, on our Instagram page @kickinthecreatives.
If you have any suggestions for the podcast or our challenges please feel free to get in touch.
Subscribe to our Youtube channel and click the notifications bell to be alerted on all our new videos.