Today’s guest is Jacqui Penn, also known by her pen name, Penny Appleton. Jacqui is the mother of the well-known writer and creative entrepreneur Joanna Penn (The Creative Penn) who we interviewed in episode 20, which you can listen to here.
Jacqui spent much of her life travelling and teaching. Since retiring she has now become a successful author in her own right, using her many life experiences to inspire her sweet romance novels. Jacqui only began her writing career in recent years having been encouraged by her daughter Joanna. Having initially worked alongside Joanna, she is now ‘peddling her bike on her own.’
Jacqui talks about:
- What made her decide to have a pen name instead of using her real name
- How she comes up with her storylines
- How difficult it was to have her first writing draft cut in half, to work for the sweet romance market
- How she comes up with her characters and how they take on their own life
- How she’s journaled all of her life and uses those as inspiration in her writing
- Why she decided to independently publish instead of taking the traditional route
Jacqui also offers advice to anyone who has always “meant” to write a book but has never got round to it.
Find out more about Jacqui Penn
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you use the link to make a purchase we will receive a very small commission, without any extra cost to you. This will help to support our website and podcast. Thank you so much.
We’ve now got a Youtube Channel where we put up a new Art Video every Sunday.
Subscribe to our channel and click the notifications bell to be alerted on all our new videos.