In today’s episode, we’re talking about how to start drawing again after a long break. In podcast episode 46, we spoke about how sometimes, taking a short break from our art can be beneficial and help to re-fill our creative well. But what if you haven’t drawn for months, or even years? You pick up that pencil again and somehow it just feels so alien, that you just put it down again.Today we are going to talk about that.
So you want to start drawing again and you would think that the answer would be to just start. But of course, our minds like to mess with us and instead of picking up the pencil, we find every reason we can to put it off. What we’re really doing is procrastinating and doubting ourselves.
“What if`I’m rubbish?”
“What if I don’t enjoy it?”
So we have some ideas to help get you started
Some of the things we discuss
- How Tara started drawing by hand again after years of working digitally and how alien it felt at first
- How the way you want to draw now might be completely different from how you drew years ago
- That your taste for subject matter and mediums can completely change over time
- Why you have to prepared for your art tosuck for a while
- That copying can be a great way to learn (as long as you credit the original creator if you share your art) We all copied art as kids, so why not as adults.
- Why a cheap sketchbook may be better than a beautiful more expensive one
- Why experimenting is a great way to discover the art you love to make
- How a challenge can help motivate you to practice
When you’ve finished listening to this podcast, we challenge you to grab a piece of paper. It doesn’t need to be fancy – in fact, the less precious the better.. Find a pen and draw something you can see from where you are sitting. No messing about deciding what to draw.
We give you 30 seconds to decide.
This first will NOT be a masterpiece, but you have done the hardest thing and started. When you have finished, keep your drawing it will be fun to look back on to see how you improve.
The books we mention
*Some links are affiliate links which means we get a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support.
If you enjoy the podcast you can support us by buying us a coffee. We want to make a coffee froth moustache. Thank you!
This week’s creative question
What is the biggest thing that gets in the way of getting to your art?
The best answers will be read out on a future podcast.
You can Tweet us your answers @KickCreatives or let us know in the Facebook Group, which by the way if you haven’t already joined, I highly recommend that you do! We will put the question up there and also on the facebook page… and of course, on our Instagram page @kickinthecreatives.
If you have any suggestions for the podcast or our challenges please feel free to get in touch.
We’ve now got a Youtube Channel where we put up a new Art Video every Sunday.
Subscribe to our channel and click the notifications bell to be alerted on all our new videos.