Tonal June – Daily Painting Challenge
For this daily painting challenge, we are challenging you to paint using just one colour and white (or just one colour if using watercolour), every day throughout the month of June.
By using just one colour and white, you will learn to make a variety of tonal values, without being distracted by colour. This is a great way of understanding just how important tone is, in your paintings.
Keep up to date with our podcasts and art challenges by signing up for our newsletter
- The only rule is to HAVE FUN!!!
Daily Painting Challenge Guidelines
- Create a daily painting, using just ONE colour and white.
- You should choose a colour that has a dark tone on its own, such as Ultra-Marine Blue, or Raw Umber.
- Keep this challenge simple. Put a group of simple objects, such as a vase of flowers, a bowl of fruit, or a cup and saucer together and set it in a well-lit area, preferably lit from one side. This will create strong shadows giving a good variety of tones.
- You should post your painting/s either at the end of each day or at the end of each week if you prefer.
Don’t forget to link and tag us in your post (details shown below) We might even feature your work on our blog!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #TonalJune
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your cartoons in our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make the painting challenge more manageable
- Keep this challenge simple. Remember this is just a tonal exercise.
- You can work either from life or from photos. If you work from photos, you could take all of your images in advance of the challenge.
At the end of the month, why not make a little daily painting video (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? Or you could email us some of your favourite paintings! With your permission, we may even feature your work on our site!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this cartoon challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
Other June Art Challenges
Join us for a cartoon challenge this month. For ‘Quick Kick June’ we are challenging you to create a daily cartoon drawing throughout the month. “Quick Kicks” are our monthly creative challenges that you can complete in 15 minutes or less per day.
For our Copyist June Art Challenge we are challenging you to replicate a sketch, drawing or painting by a master or from an art book, every day throughout the month.