We are challenging you to replicate a sketch, drawing or painting by a master or from an art book, every day throughout the month of June.
One of the best ways to learn how to draw well, is to copy from other artists who are masters of their craft. By replicating their own style of mark making, you will slowly begin to understand how they achieved the end results.
- You must only copy your drawings from a published art tutorial book or from old master drawings.
- You must write the word ‘Copy’ beneath your drawing and also credit the original artist’s name along with the name of the book that you copied your drawing from.
- When you post your work online, please also post a photo of the original drawing alongside (making clear which is which).
- You should complete and post one replica every day throughout the month of June
- You can choose art in any medium to replicate
- If you want to learn one particular style, try working your way through one book by an artist you most admire, rather than jumping from one style to another
- Don’t forget to link and tag us in your post (details are shown below) We might even feature your work on our blog!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #CopyistJune
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your cartoons on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make things a little more manageable
- If time is an issue, try copying small sketches rather than detailed drawings.
- You could replicate just one part of a drawing, rather than the whole thing.
- You can work on one large drawing over the whole month if you prefer, but don’t forget to share your progress every day
Ideas to make your cartoons a little more interesting
- You could make your drawings on interesting surfaces, such as newspaper, wrapping paper or music sheets.
At the end of the month, why not make a little video (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? Or send us some photos of your favourite drawings. With your permission, we may even feature your video on our site!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
Other June Challenges
KickTime is our brand new monthly challenge designed for those creatives who would prefer to sink their teeth into one big project over the whole month, rather than to take part in lots of smaller ones. It’s designed to inspire any kind of creative project a story, a poem, a piece of art, a piece of music, the list is endless!read more
For Quick Kick June we are challenging you to create a COLOUR sketch in 15 minutes or less. This challenge is particularly suitable for those who have a tendency to overwork their sketches or those who have limited time.read more
This month we are introducing the all new creative challenge, ‘Cartoon in June.’ We are challenging you to create a cartoon every single day throughout the month of June. Your cartoon could be a single character, or an entire comic strip! You can use any mediumread more