Copyist June Art Challenge
For our Copyist June Art Challenge we are challenging you to replicate a sketch, drawing or painting by a master or from an art book, every day throughout the month.
One of the best ways to learn how to draw well, is to copy from other artists who are masters of their craft. By replicating their own style of mark making, you will slowly begin to understand how they achieved the end results.
Keep up to date with our podcasts and art challenges by signing up for our newsletter
- You must only copy art from a published art tutorial book or from old master drawings.
- You must write the word ‘Copy’ beneath your drawing and also credit the original artist’s name along with the name of the book that you copied your drawing from.
- When you post your work online, please also post a photo of the original drawing alongside (making clear which is which).
- You should complete and post one drawing copy every day of the challenge throughout June
- You can choose art in any medium to replicate
- If you want to learn one particular art style, try working your way through one book by an artist you most admire, rather than jumping from one style to another
- Don’t forget to link and tag us in your post (details are shown below) We might even feature your work on our blog!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #CopyistJune
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your art on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make the art challenge more manageable
- If time is an issue, try copying small sketches rather than detailed drawings.
- You could replicate just one part of a drawing, rather than the whole thing.
- You can work on one large drawing over the whole month if you prefer, but don’t forget to share your progress every day.
At the end of the month, why not make a little video (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? Or send us some photos of your favourite drawings. With your permission, we may even feature your video on our site!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this art challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
Other June Challenges
For this daily painting challenge, we are challenging you to paint using just one colour and white (or just one colour if using watercolour), every day throughout the month of June. By using just one colour and white, you will learn to make a variety of tonal values, without being distracted by colour.
Join us for a cartoon challenge this month. For ‘Quick Kick June’ we are challenging you to create a daily cartoon drawing throughout the month. “Quick Kicks” are our monthly creative challenges that you can complete in 15 minutes or less per day.