Quick Kick July
“Quick Kicks” are our monthly creative challenges that you can complete in 15 minutes or less per day.
For ‘Quick Kick July’ we are challenging you to create a simple drawing ‘upside-down’, every day throughout the month of July.
To clarify. We are NOT challenging you to draw whilst doing a handstand!
We are challenging you to draw something (not too complicated) from a photograph, which has been flipped upside-down.
This challenge stimulates the creative side of your brain. It teaches you to ‘see’ the way an artist sees. One of the most common mistakes that people make whilst drawing is to ‘assume’, or draw what they think they see, rather than what is actually in front of them. By flipping an image upside down, it forces the brain to see abstract shapes and so takes away the label of what the item actually is.
- You should create at least one drawing/painting a day, using a reference photograph that has been turned ‘upside-down’
- You can draw anything you want (we will provide optional prompts)
- For this exercise, it’s important to keep it simple. Just a pencil and eraser will do.
- Your drawing/painting should take no more than 15 minutes
- Don’t forget to link back to us and tag us at the end of your post (details are shown below) We might even link back to your best blog post on our own!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #QuickKickJuly
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your journal pages on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make things a little more manageable
- Keep it simple. Just a pencil and paper is all you need. And it’s fine to erase mistakes too.
- Don’t attempt anything too complex.
- Don’t worry about shading. These should be simple line drawings.
- Stop after 15 minutes.
Ideas to make your cartoons a little more interesting
- In this case, keep it simple. Your brain is going to have enough to think about without any fancy distractions!
At the end of the month, why not make a little tour video of your creations (up to three minutes long) and send it to us?
With your permission, we may even feature your ‘junk’ on our site!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
Other July Challenges
KickTime is our monthly challenge designed for those creatives who would prefer to sink their teeth into one big project over the whole month, rather than to take part in lots of smaller ones. It’s designed to inspire any kind of creative project a story, a poem, a piece of art, a piece of music, the list is endless!
We are challenging you to create an urban sketch every day of the month. It could be a quick sketch in a park, at work, a view from your window or a local building.
We are challenging you to draw and post 31 faces throughout the month of July. You can draw any type of face. It doesn’t have to be human and you can use any medium.