5 Minute March Speed Drawing Challenge
This is a speed drawing challenge for March. We are challenging you to make a 5 minute drawing a day throughout the month. This art challenge is particularly suitable for those who have a tendency to overwork their drawings or those who have limited time.
Keep up to date with our podcasts and art challenges by signing up for our newsletter
March 2022 Drawing Prompts (Optional)
The idea behind this quick 5 minute drawing challenge is to simplify your sketches and learn which details. You will find that with less time to ‘fuss’, your sketches will become looser and have more character.
As March progresses, you should find that you are able to draw more quickly and confidently.
- The only rule is to HAVE FUN!!!
- Set a timer for 5 minutes
- Going straight in with pen or your chosen medium, sketch your chosen object/s or scene and STOP as soon as your timer goes off!
- Do not go back and adjust your drawing
- Repeat daily throughout the month
- If you choose to share your drawings on social media, don’t forget to link and tag us in your post (details shown below) We might even feature your work on our blog!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #5Minute March
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your sketches on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make the art challenge more manageable
- Have everything ready in advance of the challenge. All you need is a your choice of pen and a piece of paper and you will need to have decided what you are going to sketch.
- Look for the largest shapes and get those drawn first.
- It may help to have a sketchbook theme for the month, such as ‘people’ or ‘still-life’.
Ideas to make your quick sketches more interesting
- You could make your sketches on old books, newspapers or music sheets
- You could use a dip-pen and embrace the ‘blots’ for a more characterful sketch
At the end of the challenge, why not make a little video tour of your 5 minute sketches (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? Or send us a photo of some of your favourites. With your permission we may even feature your video on our site!
Other March Challenges
For this daily photo challenge, we invite you to take a nature photograph every day in March. “Quick Kicks” are our monthly creative challenges that you can complete in 15 minutes or less per day.
We challenge you to create a daily piece of mixed media art throughout March. The object here is to get you experimenting and creating some interesting paintings that you may otherwise have been afraid to try.