5 Minute March
This month we are introducing the all new challenge, ‘5 Minute March.’ We are challenging you to make one 5 minute sketch, every single day throughout the month of March. This challenge is particularly suitable for those who have a tendency to overwork their sketches or those who have limited time.
The idea here is to simplify your sketches and learn which details are important and which are not. You will find that with less time to ‘fuss’, your sketches will become looser and have more character.
Over the month, you should find that you are able to work more confidently in a short period.
- The only rule is to HAVE FUN!!!
- Set a timer for 5 minutes
- Going straight in with pen or your chosen medium, sketch your chosen object/s or scene and STOP as soon as your timer goes off!
- Do not go back and adjust
- Repeat daily throughout the month
- If you choose to share your work on social media, don’t forget to link and tag us in your post (details shown below) We might even feature your work on our blog!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #5Minute March
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your sketches on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make things a little more manageable
- Have everything ready in advance. All you need is a your choice of pen and a piece of paper and you will need to have decided what you are going to sketch.
- Look for the largest shapes and get those down first.
- It may help to have a theme for the month, such as ‘people’ or ‘still-life’.
Ideas to make your sketches a little more interesting
- You could make your sketches on old books, newspapers or music sheets
- You could use a dip-pen and embrace the ‘blots’ for a more characterful sketch
At the end of the year, why not make a little video tour of your sketches (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? Or send us a photo of some of your favourites. With your permission we may even feature your video on our site!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!