March Mixed Media Challenge
Join us for our March Mixed Media Challenge. We are challenging you to create a daily piece of mixed media art throughout March. The object here is to get you experimenting and creating some interesting work that you may otherwise have been afraid to try.
Keep up to date with our podcasts and art challenges by signing up for our newsletter
March Art Prompts (Optional)
- The only rule is to HAVE FUN!!!
- If you are a beginner mixed media artist, the only thing you need to know is that you should not use water-based mediums over oil-based mediums. Example, do not use acrylic paint over oil paint.
- You should complete and post one piece of mixed media art every day throughout the Mixed Media Challenge.
- Your work can be abstract or literal.
- Your work can be in any media and should be a mixture of at least two or more.
- You are encouraged to post your mixed media art every day and don’t forget to link and tag us in your post (details shown below) We might even feature your work on our blog!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #MarchMixedMedia
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your mixed media art on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make the mixed media challenge more manageable
- Prepare your canvases or other chosen supports well in advance
- Try thinking of an art theme, such as ‘Travel’ to make things a little easier.
- Use patterns and colours as inspiration for your paintings.
- Keep it small!
Mixed media art ideas
- You could add collage made from torn out pieces from a magazine, newspaper or wrapping paper
- You could use wet and dry media (but remember you should not paint acrylic over oil or it won’t last)
- You could use watercolour, ink, pastel, metallic pen, paint… The list is endless!
- You could add some interesting mediums such as gold leaf
At the end of March why not make a little video tour of your mixed media art (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? Or send us some photo’s of your favourites. With your permission we may even feature your video on our site!
And if you know any other artists who might also enjoy this mixed media challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
Other March Challenges
For this daily photo challenge, we invite you to take a nature photograph every day in March. “Quick Kicks” are our monthly creative challenges that you can complete in 15 minutes or less per day.
We challenge you to make a daily 5 minute drawing throughout the month of March. This challenge is particularly suitable for those who have a tendency to overwork their sketches or those who have limited time.