Abstract Art April Painting Challenge
This month we have our popular painting challenge, ‘Abstract Art April’.
We are challenging you to create an abstract painting, every day throughout the month of April.
If you have never painted anything abstract before, you could try looking at everyday things very close-up. What shapes do you notice? How could you use those shapes to make an interesting painting?
Keep up to date with our podcasts and art challenges by signing up for our newsletter
April 2023 Art Prompts (Optional)
- The only rule is to HAVE FUN!!!
- You should complete and post one abstract painting every day throughout the April Challenge
- The abstract painting can be in any media
- Don’t forget to link and tag us in your post (details shown below) We might even feature your work on our blog!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #AbstractArtApril
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your abstract art on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make the painting challenge a little more manageable
- Prepare your canvases well in advance.
- Try thinking of a theme, such as ‘nature’ to make things a little easier.
- Use patterns and colours as inspiration for your abstracts.
Ideas to make your abstract paintings a little more interesting
- You could add collage made from torn out pieces from a magazine, newspaper or wrapping paper to your abstract art.
- You could use wet and dry media (but remember you should not paint acrylic over oil paint or it won’t last)
- You could use some interesting mediums such as gold leaf
At the end of the month why not make a little video of your abstract paintings (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? Or send us some photos of your favourites. With your permission, we may even feature your video on our site!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this art challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
Other April Challenges
For this drawing challenge, we are challenging you to sketch or draw, using only ink, every day throughout April. By going in directly with ink, you will learn to make decisive marks, embrace your mistakes and enjoy new energy in your drawings
Join us for a drawing challenge to create a daily continuous line drawing throughout the month of April. You can use any medium you like including digital as long as your pen (or other medium) does not leave the paper.
NaPoWriMo is a poetry challenge hosted by Maureen Thorson at www.napowrimo.net You are challenged to write a poem a day throughout the month of April. You can keep your poems for yourself or share them with the world. It’s up to you! Starting on April 1st, you should…
This challenge is hosted by Elle Luna at www.the100dayproject.org and starts sometime in April (the date varies from year to year). It was inspired by a Yale School of Art Workshop created by Michael Bierut for his graduate graphic design students…