Inky April – Drawing Challenge
For this drawing challenge, we are challenging you to sketch or draw, using only ink, every day throughout April.
By going in directly with ink, you will learn to make decisive marks, embrace your mistakes and enjoy new energy in your drawings, which you simply don’t get when you use a pencil and eraser.
Keep up to date with our podcasts and art challenges by signing up for our newsletter
April Art Prompts (Optional)
- The only rule is to HAVE FUN!!!
Drawing Challenge Guidelines
- Draw directly, using only ink, every day throughout the month
- Do not use a pencil or eraser
- We would encourage you to experiment with different tools, such as dip-pens, fountain pens, biro pens, a brush pen, even a twig! The only rule is, it must be INK alone!
- You should post your drawing/s either at the end of each day or at the end of each week if you prefer.
- Don’t forget to link and tag us in your post (details shown below) We might even feature your work on our blog!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #InkyApril
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your abstract art on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make the challenge more manageable
- Draw something as simple or complex as you have time for, each particular day.
- It may help to refer to our (optional) prompts, to give you ideas for your drawings
Sketchbook page ideas
- Try adding some interesting borders to your drawings
- You could add text to your sketchbook pages
- Why not overlap some of your drawings
- You could make your drawings on old books, newspapers or music sheets
- You could draw over the top of preprepared colored backgrounds
- You could work on colored or toned paper
- If you use water-soluble ink, you could add some water to it to create mid-tones
At the end of the month why not make a little video of your ink drawings (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? Or send us some photos of your favourites. With your permission, we may even feature your video on our site!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this ink drawing challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
Other April Challenges
We are challenging you to create an abstract painting, every day throughout the month of April. If you have never painted anything abstract before, you could try looking at everyday things very close-up. What shapes do you notice? How could you use those shapes to make…
Join us for a drawing challenge to create a daily continuous line drawing throughout the month of April. You can use any medium you like including digital as long as your pen (or other medium) does not leave the paper.
NaPoWriMo is a poetry challenge hosted by Maureen Thorson at www.napowrimo.net You are challenged to write a poem a day throughout the month of April. You can keep your poems for yourself or share them with the world. It’s up to you! Starting on April 1st, you should…
This challenge is hosted by Elle Luna at www.the100dayproject.org and starts sometime in April (the date varies from year to year). It was inspired by a Yale School of Art Workshop created by Michael Bierut for his graduate graphic design students…