Quick Kick April
“Quick Kicks” are our monthly creative challenges that you can complete in 15 minutes or less per day.
For ‘Quick Kick April’ we are challenging you to create a drawing using ten strokes or less, every day throughout the month of April. One stroke is counted from the moment you put your pen, pencil or brush on the paper to the moment you take it off.
This challenge can help you learn which marks are important to a drawing and which aren’t.
- You should create at least one drawing/painting a day
- You can draw anything you want (we will provide optional prompts)
- You should use just 10 strokes or less
- You can use any medium to create your painting or drawing
- Your drawing/painting should take no more than 15 minutes
- Don’t forget to link back to us and tag us at the end of your post (details are shown below) We might even link back to your best blog post on our own!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #QuickKickApril
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your abstract art on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make things a little more manageable
- Carry your sketchbook with you everywhere. This way you can squeeze your drawing in whenever you have some time to spare.
- For this challenge, it might be easier to use small to medium sized paper
- Decide beforehand what you are going to draw. You could have a theme for the month or use our daily prompts.
Ideas to make your paintings a little more interesting
- You could work over the top of collage, old book pages or pre-prepared watercolour washes
- You could use different coloured strokes
- You could vary the weight/width of your strokes
- You could create the strokes with more than one tool – eg. create some strokes with a pen and some with a brush
At the end of the month, why not make a little video (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? Or send us some photos of your favourite drawings. With your permission, we may even feature your video on our site!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
Other April Challenges
We are challenging you to create a piece of art in the style of a famous artist (dead or Alive), every day throughout the month of April. Perhaps you’d like to create a portrait in the style of Picasso! Maybe you would like to draw your pet, but in the style of Leonardo…read more
NaPoWriMo is a poetry challenge hosted by Maureen Thorson at www.napowrimo.net You are challenged to write a poem a day throughout the month of April. You can keep your poems for yourself or share them with the world. It’s up to you! Starting on April 1st, you should…read more
This challenge is hosted by Elle Luna at www.the100dayproject.org and starts sometime in April (the date varies from year to year). It was inspired by a Yale School of Art Workshop created by Michael Bierut for his graduate graphic design students…read more
We are challenging you to create an abstract painting, every day throughout the month of April. If you have never painted anything abstract before, you could try looking at everyday things very close-up. What shapes do you notice? How could you use those shapes to make…read more