Introducing our new challenge ‘Kick Collage’. We are challenging you to experiment with collage in your work every day throughout November. You can complete the entire piece of art using images you’ve cut or torn out or using elements you’ve found. Alternatively, you could create a drawing or painting over your collaged elements.
When creating a piece of art using collage, you will find that tone is far more important than colour. Collage is a fun way of learning to understand just how important the contrast between your darks and lights really is in a piece of art.
Tips to make things a little more manageable
- Don’t attempt anything too complex, unless you want to of course.
- If you prefer to spend longer on each piece, you could spend a little time each day of a more detailed piece of work.
- Collect your torn elements in advance and separate them into tones; so darks, lights and mid-tones. You will find that as long as the tones are right, your collage will work regardless of the colours used.
Ideas to make your work a little more interesting
- Experiment with different papers and collage elements, such as stamps, old shopping lists, letters, an old novel, music sheets, wrapping paper, magazine cuttings, post-it notes… The list is endless!
- Try working over the top of your collage with different mediums. Use transparent pigments so that all, or parts of your collage remain visible,
- Try introducing different textures, such as fabric or corrugated card.
At the end of the month, why not make a little video (up to three minutes long) of your work and send it to us? Or just email us some of your favourite ones. With your permission, we may even feature your work on our site
We can not wait to see your creations!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!