Aqua January Watercolor Challenge
For our January watercolor challenge, we invite you to create a daily watercolor painting throughout the month.
You can use just watercolor alone for the challenge, or you can use any other water-soluble media if you prefer. You can even combine them. Feel free to experiment!
Keep up to date with our podcasts and art challenges by signing up for our newsletter
January Art Prompts (optional)
Watercolor Challenge Guidelines
- You should work on a piece of daily art using only water-soluble media
- We will provide optional art prompts for the watercolor challenge, but feel free to do your own thing
- Don’t forget to link back to us and tag us at the end of your post (details are shown below) We might even link back to your best picture on our own!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags:
#kickinthecreatives and #AquaJanuary
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your watercolor paintings on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make the watercolor challenge more manageable
- Don’t attempt anything too complex, unless you want to of course.
- Work fairly small if you are short on time
- If you prefer to spend longer on each piece of art you could spend a little time each day of a more detailed watercolor painting and share your progress daily.
- Try working on toned mixed media paper or tinted watercolor paper
- Experiment with different watercolor papers – smooth, rough etc
- Try combining watercolor with ink, water-soluble pastels, water-soluble pencils, or any other water-soluble media.
- Try experimenting with watercolor and salt, wax and other techniques to add pattern and texture
At the end of the month, why not make a little challenge video tour of your watercolors (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? With your permission, we may even feature your video on our site!
And if you know any other artists who might also enjoy this art challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
All January Art Challenges
For this weekly sketching challenge, we are challenging you to create a weekly drawing for 52 consecutive weeks. This is less of a commitment than the Kick 365 challenge but will still help you to build that creative habit and improve your drawing skills.
For this art challenge, we are challenging you to draw or paint the same face in 50 different ways. Find a face reference photo you like and let that be your inspiration to create a face a day for the next 50 days.
A daily art journal challenge. We challenge you to create an illustrated page every day throughout the month. You should work on the basic layout of one page every day throughout January. Do NOT be intimidated by, or compare your art journal pages to other people’s work!
For ‘Quick Kick January’ we challenge you to take a daily abstract photo throughout the month of January. “Quick Kicks” are our monthly creative challenges that you can complete in 15 minutes or less per day.
For this sketch challenge, we are challenging you to create a daily sketch for 365 consecutive days.Not for the faint hearted! This challenge takes real commitment, but just imagine how many sketchbooks you could fill in a year
This is an external challenge from 64 Million Artists. There are 31 days of simple creative challenges and a vibrant community of participants sharing their work and experiences across social media.