Introducing our new challenge ‘Aqua January’. We are challenging you to create a piece of work using watercolour every day throughout the month of January.
You can use just watercolour alone, or you can use any other water-soluble media if you prefer. You can even combine them. Feel free to experiment!
Free reference inspiration pdf to go with challenge
Get our free prompt and reference pdf by when you sign up for our newsletter
- You should work on one piece of art every day using only water-soluble media
- We will provide optional prompts, but feel free to do your own thing
- Don’t forget to link back to us and tag us at the end of your post (details are shown below) We might even link back to your best picture on our own!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags:
#kickinthecreatives and #AquaJanuary
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your journal pages on our brand new Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make things a little more manageable
- Don’t attempt anything too complex, unless you want to of course.
- Work fairly small if you are short on time
- If you prefer to spend longer on each piece, you could spend a little time each day of a more detailed piece of work and share your progress daily.
Ideas to make your pages a little more interesting
- Try working on toned mixed media paper or tinted watercolour paper
- Experiment with different surface papers – smooth, rough etc
- Try combining watercolour with ink, water-soluble pastels, water-soluble pencils, or any other water-soluble media.
- Try experimenting with salt, wax and other techniques to add pattern and texture
At the end of the month, why not make a little sketchbook tour video (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? With your permission, we may even feature your video on our site!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
All January Challenges
“Quick Kicks” are our monthly creative challenges that you can complete in 15 minutes or less per day. For ‘Quick Kick January’ we are challenging you to take an abstract photograph every day throughout the month of January.read more
KickTime is our brand new monthly challenge designed for those creatives who would prefer to sink their teeth into one big project over the whole month, rather than to take part in lots of smaller ones. It’s designed to inspire any kind of creative project a story, a poem, a piece of art, a piece of music, the list is endless!read more
Not for the faint hearted! This challenge takes real commitment, but just imagine how many sketchbooks you could fill in a year… And just how much your skills will improve! Sketch something every single day for 365 consecutive days. Post it onlineread more
We are challenging you to create an illustrated page every single day throughout the month of January. You should work on the basic layout of one page every day throughout January. Do NOT be intimidated by, or compare your pages to other people’s work!read more