50 Ways to Draw a Face – Art Challenge
For this art challenge, we are challenging you to draw or paint the same face in 50 different ways. Find a face reference photo you like and let that be your inspiration to create a face a day for the next 50 days.
- The only rule is to HAVE FUN!!!
Art Challenge Guidelines
- Choose one face reference photo to use for the entire length of the challenge
- Your faces can be realistic or abstract or anything in between. The end result doesn’t have to look like your reference photo as long as you use it as your starting point.
- You can start this challenge at any time during the year.
- We recommend you create a face a day for 50 consecutive days
- Don’t forget to link and tag us in your post (details shown below)
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #50waystodrawaface
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your art on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make the art challenge more manageable
- You could decide in advance the materials you will use each day.
- If you are short on time do a five or ten-minute sketch or keep your drawing small.
Face art challenge ideas
- Combine inspiration from 2 old masters that you love
- Try work over collage
- You could try abstracting the face
- Try different methods of shading, such as hatching, dots, patterns and smooth tones
- Use different coloured papers or backgrounds as your base
- Experiment with different art mediums
- Try using non-art tools to make marks
At the end of the year, why not make a little sketchbook tour video (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? Or send us a photo of some of your sketches for the year. With your permission, we may even feature your video on our site!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this art challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
Other January Challenges
For this weekly sketching challenge, we are challenging you to create a weekly drawing for 52 consecutive weeks. This is less of a commitment than the Kick 365 challenge but will still help you to build that creative habit and improve your drawing skills.
A daily art journal challenge. We challenge you to create an illustrated page every day throughout the month. You should work on the basic layout of one page every day throughout January. Do NOT be intimidated by, or compare your art journal pages to other people’s work!
For ‘Quick Kick January’ we challenge you to take a daily abstract photo throughout the month of January. “Quick Kicks” are our monthly creative challenges that you can complete in 15 minutes or less per day.
We challenge you to create a piece of work using watercolour every day throughout the month of January. You can use just watercolour alone, or you can use any other water-soluble media if you prefer.
For this sketch challenge, we are challenging you to create a daily sketch for 365 consecutive days.Not for the faint hearted! This challenge takes real commitment, but just imagine how many sketchbooks you could fill in a year
This is an external challenge from 64 Million Artists. There are 31 days of simple creative challenges and a vibrant community of participants sharing their work and experiences across social media.