This month we see the return of our popular creative challenge, ‘Art Journal January’. We are challenging you to create an illustrated page every single day throughout the month of January.
The idea is that each day, you create one illustrated page that best represents your day.
You might like to start with a sketch of your breakfast, then perhaps a drawing of the keys you thought you’d lost. Maybe you can snatch a bit of time to sketch the things scattered over your desk at work… and finally a doodle of your feet warming up by the fire.
And you can also add some text to your page too if you like.
- The only rule is to HAVE FUN!!!
- Do NOT be intimidated by, or compare your pages to other people’s work! This is your journal and nobody elses.
- You should work on the basic layout of one page every day throughout January.
- Each page should include the date, along with both text and illustrations to represent your day.
- If you choose to create your art journal in digital form, this is fine too!
- If you choose to share your work on social media, don’t forget to tag us in your post (details shown below) and also use the hashtags #kickinthecreatives and #ArtJournalJanuary. We might even feature your work on our blog!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags:
#kickinthecreatives and #ArtJournalJanuary
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your journal pages on our brand new Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make things a little more manageable
- You can create your basic page layout on the day and go back to them at a later date to finish your drawings and add your colour or text. As long as all of your pages are complete by the 31st of January, that’s all that matters
- It may help to create small additions to your page throughout the day, rather than trying to do it all in one chunk at the end of the day
Ideas to make your pages a little more interesting
- You could add collage made from torn out pieces from a magazine, newspaper or wrapping paper.
- You could use other materials such as Washi Tape and Post-It Notes!
- You could stick in memorabilia. Example, if you have a train journey that day, why not stick in your ticket?
- You could add a coffee ring if you spent the morning at Starbucks, or a leaf rubbing if you took a walk through the park
- Try adding some interesting borders to your illustrations
- Why not overlap some of your drawings
At the end of the month why not make a little sketchbook tour video (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? With your permission we may even feature your video on our site!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
All January Challenges
“Quick Kicks” are our monthly creative challenges that you can complete in 15 minutes or less per day. For ‘Quick Kick January’ we are challenging you to take an abstract photograph every day throughout the month of January.read more
KickTime is our brand new monthly challenge designed for those creatives who would prefer to sink their teeth into one big project over the whole month, rather than to take part in lots of smaller ones. It’s designed to inspire any kind of creative project a story, a poem, a piece of art, a piece of music, the list is endless!read more
We are challenging you to create a piece of work using watercolour every day throughout the month of January. You can use just watercolour alone, or you can use any other water-soluble media if you prefer.read more
Not for the faint hearted! This challenge takes real commitment, but just imagine how many sketchbooks you could fill in a year… And just how much your skills will improve! Sketch something every single day for 365 consecutive days. Post it onlineread more