This January we see the return of our popular art journal challenge, ‘Art Journal January’. We are challenging you to create an illustrated journal page every single day throughout the month of January.
The idea is that each day, you create one illustrated page that best represents your day.
You might like to start with a drawing of your breakfast, then perhaps a painting of the keys you thought you’d lost. Maybe you can snatch a bit of time to sketch the things scattered over your desk at work… and finally a doodle of your feet warming up by the fire.
And you can also add some text to your journal page too if you like.
Keep up to date with all our art challenges by signing up for our newsletter
- The only rule is to HAVE FUN!!!
Art Journal January Challenge Guidelines
- Do NOT be intimidated by, or compare your art journal pages to other people’s work! This is your art journal and nobody elses.
- You should work on the basic layout of one daily art journal page January.
- Each journal page should include the date, along with both text and illustrations to represent your day.
- If you choose to create your art journal in digital form, this is fine too!
- If you choose to share your art journaling on social media, don’t forget to tag us in your post (details shown below) and also use the hashtags #kickinthecreatives and #ArtJournalJanuary. We might even feature your work on our blog!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags:
#kickinthecreatives and #ArtJournalJanuary
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your journal pages on our brand new Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make the journaling challenge a little more manageable
- You can create your basic page layout on the day and go back to them at a later date to finish your drawings and add your colour or text. As long as all of your pages are complete by the 31st of January, that’s all that matters
- It may help to create small additions to your sketchbook page throughout the day, rather than trying to do it all in one chunk at the end of the day
Art journal ideas
- You could add collage made from torn out pieces from a magazine, newspaper or wrapping paper to your art journal.
- You could use other materials such as Washi Tape and Post-It Notes!
- You could stick memorabilia in your journal. Example, if you have a train journey that day, why not stick in your ticket?
- You could add a coffee ring if you spent the morning at Starbucks, or a leaf rubbing if you took a walk through the park
- Try adding some interesting borders to your journal pages
- Why not overlap some of your drawings
At the end of the month, why not make a little art journal tour video (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? With your permission we may even feature your video on our site!
And if you know any other artists who might also enjoy this art journal challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
All January Challenges
For ‘Quick Kick January’ we challenge you to take a daily abstract photo throughout the month of January. “Quick Kicks” are our monthly creative challenges that you can complete in 15 minutes or less per day.
We challenge you to create a piece of work using watercolour every day throughout the month of January. You can use just watercolour alone, or you can use any other water-soluble media if you prefer.
This is an external challenge from 64 Million Artists. There are 31 days of simple creative challenges and a vibrant community of participants sharing their work and experiences across social media.
For this sketch challenge, we are challenging you to create a daily sketch for 365 consecutive days.Not for the faint hearted! This challenge takes real commitment, but just imagine how many sketchbooks you could fill in a year