This month we are introducing our very own, brand new creative challenge, ‘Art Journal January’. We are challenging you to create an illustrated page every single day throughout the month of January.
- The only rule is to HAVE FUN!!!
- Do NOT be intimidated by, or compare your pages to other people’s work! This is your journal and nobody elses.
- You should work on the basic layout of one page every day throughout January.
- Each page should include the date, along with both text and illustrations to represent your day.
- If you choose to create your art journal in digital form, this is fine too!
- If you choose to share your work on social media, don’t forget to tag us in your post (details shown below) and also use the hashtags #kickinthecreatives and #ArtJournalJanuary. We might even feature your work on our blog!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags:
#kickinthecreatives and #ArtJournalJanuary
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your journal pages on our brand new Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make things a little more manageable
- You can create your basic page layout on the day and go back to them at a later date to finish your drawings and add your colour or text. As long as all of your pages are complete by the 31st of January, that’s all that matters
- It may help to create small additions to your page throughout the day, rather than trying to do it all in one chunk at the end of the day
Ideas to make your pages a little more interesting
- You could add collage made from torn out pieces from a magazine, newspaper or wrapping paper.
- You could use other materials such as Washi Tape and Post-It Notes!
- You could stick in memorabilia. Example, if you have a train journey that day, why not stick in your ticket?
- You could add a coffee ring if you spent the morning at Starbucks, or a leaf rubbing if you took a walk through the park
- Try adding some interesting borders to your illustrations
- Why not overlap some of your drawings
At the end of the month why not make a little sketchbook tour video (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? With your permission we may even feature your video on our site!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
All January Challenges
Not for the faint hearted! This challenge takes real commitment, but just imagine how many sketchbooks you could fill in a year… And just how much your skills will improve! Sketch something every single day for 365 consecutive days. Post it onlineread more
This challenge is hosted by Leslie Saeta from www.saetastudio.com Every January and September, Leslie challenges artists to paint 30 paintings in 30 days and invites them to post their paintings on her blog. The challenge has become hugely popular.read more