Today’s episode is all about how to cope with the feelings of stress and overwhelm that can come with being, or ‘trying to be’ a creative.
Originally, we had planned to record this episode in March, because Tara had recently experienced overwhelm having completed and filmed a ‘find your art style’ experiment over 60 days… And then lockdown happened, and no one in the world had much to do, so we decided that wasn’t the best time to talk about having too much to fit in!
As Sandra has recently been going through her own feelings of overwhelm we thought now would be a good time for the episode (even though we’re in lockdown again). That’s because the work Sandra couldn’t do during the first lockdown all came at once as soon as it was over and this left her tearing her hair out and not having a clue how to deal with it all!
So, when you are going through a period where you just don’t know where to start… Where do you start?
Some of the things we discuss about overwhelm as a creative
- Prioritising what’s important and how we go about it and how sometimes we feel a good old fashioned paper and pen list is better than an App, though we use those too.
- Focus on one thing at a time. Better to get one thing done, than bits of everything but not finish any of them. When Sandra was overwhelmed she found she was doing everything badly instead of a few things well.
- If you keep procrastinating, make your own deadline and enlist the help of an accountability partner if you need one.
- Other ways of relaxing as well as making art (we don’t recommend Sandra’s weird sexy talk)
- If you know things are likely to get busy, see if there are things you can do or prepare in advance (that’s what Tara did for her Find You Art Style Challenge)
- See if you can automate some tasks or make them simpler.
- Remember that you don’t have to do everything at once, spread the tasks out
- Challenge yourself, but don’t bite off more than you can chew.
- Don’t underestimate the importance of finding time to do the things you want to do.
If you enjoy the podcast you can support us by buying us a coffee. We want to make a coffee froth moustache. Thank you!
This week’s creative question
The Mona Lisa has her own mailbox in the Louvre because of all the love letters she receives. … If you could send a letter of any kind, to a piece of art, what would your letter be about and what piece of art would you write it to?
The best answers will be read out on a future podcast.
You can Tweet us your answers @KickCreatives or let us know in the Facebook Group, which by the way if you haven’t already joined, I highly recommend that you do! We will put the question up there and also on the facebook page… and of course, on our Instagram page @kickinthecreatives.
If you have any suggestions for the podcast or our challenges please feel free to get in touch.
We’ve now got a Youtube Channel where we put up a new Art Video every Sunday.
Subscribe to our channel and click the notifications bell to be alerted on all our new videos.