Quick Kick May Drawing Challenge
For this May drawing challenge, we invite you to create a simple daily drawing using your non-dominant hand, throughout the month.
This drawing challenge stimulates the ‘creative’ hemisphere of our brains by using our ‘wrong’ hand. Studies have shown that when using our dominant hand, only one hemisphere of the brain is active, however by using our non-dominant hand, both sides of our brain are active.
“Quick Kicks” are our monthly art challenges that you can complete in 15 minutes or less per day.
Keep up to date with our podcasts and art challenges by signing up for our newsletter
May 2022 Art Prompts (optional)
- You should create at least one daily drawing/painting with your non-dominant hand throughout May
- You can draw anything you want (we will provide optional prompts)
- You can use any medium to create your painting or drawing
- Your non dominant hand drawings should take no more than 15 minutes
- Don’t forget to link back to us and tag us so we can see what you have created.
Tips to make the drawing challenge a little more manageable
- Carry your sketchbook with you everywhere. This way you can squeeze your drawing in whenever you have some time to spare.
- For this drawing challenge, it might be easier to use small to medium sized paper
- Decide beforehand what you are going to draw. You could have a theme for the month or use our daily prompts.
Ideas to make your drawings a little more interesting
- You could draw over collage, old book pages or pre-prepared watercolour washes
At the end of the month, why not make a little video of your challenge art (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? Or send us some photos of your favourite drawings. With your permission, we may even feature your video on our site!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #QuickKickMay
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your drawings on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this drawing challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
Other May art Challenges
For this May art challenge we invite you to create a daily piece of flower art throughout the month. You can use any medium you like such as paint, embroidery, clay, printing, digital or mixed media… You can even use actual flowers!
For this May art challenge we invite you to create a daily miniature piece of artwork throughout the month.. Your miniature artwork should be NO bigger than 5” x 5” in any media excluding digital.
This challenge is hosted by a closed Facebook group, so you will need to request to be able to join in this annual May challenge. Each year, on or around the 26th April, a list of daily subjects for the entire month will be published to download.