Quick Kick May
“Quick Kicks” are our monthly creative challenges that you can complete in 15 minutes or less per day.
For ‘Quick Kick May’ we are challenging you to create a simple drawing using your non-dominant hand, every day throughout the month of May.
This challenge stimulates the ‘creative’ hemisphere of our brains by using our ‘wrong’ hand. Studies have shown that when using our dominant hand, only one hemisphere of the brain is active, however by using our non-dominant hand, both sides of our brain are active.
- You should create at least one drawing/painting a day with your non-dominant hand
- You can draw anything you want (we will provide optional prompts)
- You can use any medium to create your painting or drawing
- Your drawing/painting should take no more than 15 minutes
- Don’t forget to link back to us and tag us so we can see what you have created.
Tips to make things a little more manageable
- Carry your sketchbook with you everywhere. This way you can squeeze your drawing in whenever you have some time to spare.
- For this challenge, it might be easier to use small to medium sized paper
- Decide beforehand what you are going to draw. You could have a theme for the month or use our daily prompts.
Ideas to make your paintings a little more interesting
- You could work over the top of collage, old book pages or pre-prepared watercolour washes
At the end of the month, why not make a little video (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? Or send us some photos of your favourite drawings. With your permission, we may even feature your video on our site!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #QuickKickMay
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your abstract art on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
Other May Challenges
KickTime is our brand new monthly challenge designed for those creatives who would prefer to sink their teeth into one big project over the whole month, rather than to take part in lots of smaller ones. It’s designed to inspire any kind of creative project a story, a poem, a piece of art, a piece of music, the list is endless!read more
We are challenging you to create a piece of flower art, every day throughout May. You can use any medium you like such as paint, embroidery, clay, printing, digital or mixed media… You can even use actual flowers!read more
This challenge is hosted by a closed Facebook group, so you will need to request to be able to join in this annual May challenge. Each year, on or around the 26th April, a list of daily subjects for the entire month will be published to download.read more
Create a miniature piece of artwork, every day throughout the month of May. Your miniature artwork must be NO bigger than 5” x 5” in any media excluding digital.read more