Quick Kick October – Sketch Challenge
For our ‘Quick Kick October’ sketch challenge, we are challenging you to pick just ONE subject and sketch it daily throughout the month.
Maybe you will choose to sketch daily human faces… Or maybe you want to master drawing trees… Or perhaps boats are your thing!
Whatever floats your particular boat, the idea here is that by sketching over a whole month, you will really get an understanding of that one subject that you’ve always wanted to be good at drawing.
“Quick Kicks” are our monthly art challenges that you can complete in 15 minutes or less per day.
Keep up to date with our podcasts and art challenges by signing up for our newsletter
Sketch Challenge Guidelines
- You should choose ONE specific subject to concentrate sketching every day during October.
- You should aim to complete your daily sketch in one session of 15 minutes or less. This ensures that you notice the important elements of the subject and that you don’t get lost in detail.
- Don’t forget to link back to us and tag us at the end of your post (details shown below) We might even link back to your best drawings on our own!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #QuickKickOctober
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your sketches on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make things the challenge more manageable
- Remember, this is a ‘sketch’… not a detailed drawing. Concentrate on the main elements and don’t get lost in detail.
- Stop after 15 minutes.
Ideas to make your daily sketches a little more interesting
- You could always prepare your sketchbook in advance with collage or a wash
- Try experimenting with different mediums
- Play with different styles and methods of mark making
At the end of the month, why not make a little tour video of your sketches (up to three minutes long) and send it to us?
With your permission, we may even feature your creations on our site!
And if you know any other artists who might also enjoy this sketching challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
Other October Challenges
Creeptober is our Halloween inspired October Art Challenge. You can create anything you like, from a pumpkin carving, to a drawing, a painting, a poem, a creepy story, a scary photo, or a spooky sculpture…
We are challenging you to write and share a poem every day throughout April! You can write a poem about any topic you like, but we’ll provide optional prompts if you need them.
‘Sculptober’ was founded in 2014 by, Dragons and Beasties, Tumble Creatures and Little Fat Dragons. Every October, sculptors take on the challenge of creating something each day based on a daily theme. To join in the fun, you can request to join their Facebook Group.
Every October Jake Parker challenges artists all over the world to create one ink drawing a day for the entire month. Jake originally created Inktober back in 2009 to improve his inking skills and develop a positive drawing habit and the challenge snowballed from there.