Quick Kick October
“Quick Kicks” are our monthly creative challenges that you can complete in 15 minutes or less per day.
For ‘Quick Kick October’ we are challenging you to pick just ONE subject and sketch it every single day throughout the month of October.
Maybe you will choose to sketch 31 human faces… Or maybe you want to master drawing trees… Or perhaps boats are your thing!
Whatever floats your particular boat, the idea here is that over the period of a whole month, you will really get an understanding of that one subject that you’ve always wanted to be good at drawing.
- You should choose ONE specific subject to concentrate on every day.
- You should aim to complete your sketch in one session of 15 minutes or less. This ensures that you notice the important elements of the subject and that you don’t get lost in detail.
- We will provide optional prompts, but feel free to do your own thing
- Don’t forget to link back to us and tag us at the end of your post (details shown below) We might even link back to your best picture on our own!
As a reminder, please tag us on social media
- Twitter: @KickCreatives
- Facebook: @kickinthecreatives
- Instagram: @kickinthecreatives
- Pinterest: @kickinthecreatives
And you should also add the following hashtags
#kickinthecreatives and #QuickKickOctober
Share in our Facebook Group
You can also share your journal pages on our Facebook Group. We would love to see you there!
Tips to make things a little more manageable
- Remember, this is a ‘sketch’… not a detailed drawing. Concentrate on the main elements and don’t get lost in detail.
- Stop after 15 minutes.
Ideas to make your art a little more interesting
- You could always prepare your paper in advance with collage or a wash
- Try experimenting with different mediums
- Play with different styles and methods of mark making
At the end of the month, why not make a little tour video of your creations (up to three minutes long) and send it to us?
With your permission, we may even feature your creations on our site!
And if you know any other creatives who might also enjoy this challenge, why not encourage them to have a go!
Other October Challenges
We are challenging you to create something ‘creepy’ every day throughout October. You can create anything you like, from a pumpkin carving, to a drawing, a painting, a poem, a creepy story, a scary photo, or a spooky sculpture…
We are challenging you to write and share a poem every day throughout April! You can write a poem about any topic you like, but we’ll provide optional prompts if you need them.
KickTime is our monthly challenge designed for those creatives who would prefer to sink their teeth into one big project over the whole month, rather than to take part in lots of smaller ones. It’s designed to inspire any kind of creative project a story, a poem, a piece of art, a piece of music, the list is endless!
‘Sculptober’ was founded in 2014 by, Dragons and Beasties, Tumble Creatures and Little Fat Dragons. Every October, sculptors take on the challenge of creating something each day based on a daily theme. To join in the fun, you can request to join their Facebook Group.
Every October Jake Parker challenges artists all over the world to create one ink drawing a day for the entire month. Jake originally created Inktober back in 2009 to improve his inking skills and develop a positive drawing habit and the challenge snowballed from there.