The Sketchbook Project
The Sketchbook Project is hosted by www.sketchbookproject.com
Anyone – from anywhere in the world – can be a part of this project. It doesn’t matter if you are an absolute beginner or a professional artist! Whatever your level, this is a chance to submit your own work to the world’s largest collection of sketchbooks and become part of a worldwide community of creative people.
This project takes place annually and exhibitions take place in June.
Submitted sketchbooks will be kept and displayed in Brooklyn Art Library’s permanent collection and that collection travels to exhibitions across the country.
But how cool is this?
Each book is given its own barcode so it can be cataloged into Brooklyn Art Library’s system. Once cataloged, artists will be able to track where their book travels, how often it is viewed and how many times someone pulled it from the shelf – So you can really stay connected with your sketchbook!
- You must use a specific custom sketchbook, which you can send off for on their website for $30.
- The dimensions of the sketchbooks cannot be altered in anyway
- You can save 20% by ordering 5 or more books in case you have some artist friends who would also like to get involved.
- There are some extras you can apply for which are detailed on their site, such as art supplies.
- You must apply no later than January 5th and the exhibition starts in June.
- The book has to be postmarked by March 31st to be entered
- The sketchbook must be full. No blank pages!
- If you choose to post your work on social media, don’t forget to link back to The Sketchbook Project
Tips to make things a little more manageable
- You could always order your book this year, but not submit it until next year. This gives you much longer to fill your book!
Ideas to make your sketchbooks a little more interesting
- You could always decorate the cover as long as it doesn’t change the dimensions of your book
- You could add collage to your pages, made from torn out pieces from a magazine, newspaper or wrapping paper
- You could even add text
At the end of the month, why not make a little sketchbook tour video (up to three minutes long) and send it to us? With your permission, we may even feature your video on our site!
You can find out more about the challenge in the following places
Other Anytime Challenges
365 Creative Somethings in 2018 is hosted by http://www.ihanna.nu Art journalers iHanna and Tammy will do 365 creative somethings, again in 2018, both with a pinch of collage, mixed media and acrylic paint on top, and you are invited to join!
We are challenging you to create a single piece of artwork every month for 12 consecutive months, so that you will be able to print your own calendar for the following year. Each piece of art should relate to the month in which you created it.
Not for the faint hearted! This challenge takes real commitment, but just imagine how many sketchbooks you could fill in a year… And just how much your skills will improve! Sketch something every single day for 365 consecutive days. Post it online